Table of Contents
Definition of the PPS system
A production planning and control system is referred to as a PPS system. It is a computer-aided system for planning, initiating and monitoring production processes in accordance with quantities, deadlines and capacities, which pursues several goals:
- Short lead times
- High adherence to deadlines through targeted control
- Low capital commitment due to low stocks
- High and even capacity utilization through scheduling
Production control PPS
The PPS system is influenced by the production control, which has the task of initiating the production in a targeted manner. It should counteract work, equipment, material and disposition-related disruptions through its measures. The tasks of the PPS system can be:
- Planning the production program and capacity
- Basic data management, e.g. master data, production orders
- Material management tasks and workshop control
- Scheduling and scheduling
PPS system and the just-in-time principle
These are of current importance for the PPS system Just-in-time principle, which aims at the production-synchronous procurement of the materials, and the principle of KANBAN-Steering. The aim of the KANBAN principle is on-demand production at all levels. For each product planned with KANBAN, a buffer store is set up before or after each production stage in order to keep stocks low.
The PPS system is a component of CIM as Computer Integrated Manufacturing.