The term division of labor describes the process of dividing work among people and how they work together. In general, this term is also applied to activities or actions.
Definition / explanation
From an economic point of view, the division of labor refers to a specific process that takes place within the framework of human work performance. Due to the division of labor, an increase in efficiency in the provision of services is possible, whereby output and productivity can be increased. The individual actors each produce the good for which a comparative cost advantage can be achieved.
For an efficient way of working, the tasks involved are divided up according to the skills and strengths of the workforce.
Types of division of labor
- Arbeitszerlegung (auch betriebliche Arbeitsteilung)
- Division of production (also inter-company division of labor)
- regional division of labor
- international division of labor
- national division of labor
- territorial division of labor
- economic division of labor