What is computer-aided software engineering?
Computer-Aided Software Engineering (CASE) is the application of computer-aided tools and methods in software development in order to guarantee high-quality and error-free software. CASE maintains a controlled and disciplined approach and helps designers, developers, testers, managers and others see the project milestones during development.
CASE can also serve as a repository for project-related documents such as business plans, requirements and design specifications. One of the best things about CASE is delivery of the final product, which is more likely to match actual requirements, as it ensures customers stay part of the process.
The CASE approach covers the entire product development cycle, including Code generation, Product tools, repositories, prototyping and other tools.
CASE contains various tools, known as CASE tools, that support different phases and milestones in a software development cycle.
The CASE tools include:
- Diagram tools: Help with the graphical and graphical representation of the data and system processes.
- Computer display and report generators: help understand data requirements and the relationships involved.
- Analysis tools: focus on inconsistent, incorrect specifications that are involved in the flow of diagrams and data.
- Central Repository: Provides the central storage location for data diagrams, reports and documents related to project management.
- Documentation generators: Help with the generation of user and technical documentation according to standards.
- Code Generators: Help with the automatic generation of code, including definitions, using designs, documents and diagrams.
The advantages of the CASE approach are:
- As special attention is paid to redesign and tests, the maintenance costs for a product are significantly reduced over the expected service life.
- The overall quality of the product is improved as an organized approach is taken during the development process.
- The chances of meeting real-world requirements are more likely and easier with a computer-aided software engineering approach.
CASE indirectly provides an organization with a competitive advantage by helping to develop high quality products.