360-degree feedback is a feedback system from the area of human resources, in which an employee receives feedback from other work colleagues on his or her way of working.
In the case of 360-degree feedback, the employee receives feedback from employees with whom he has in the course of the fulfillment of his professional Duties has worked together:
- external parties (e.g. suppliers)
360 degree feedback helps to understand an employee's performance and is used in the appraisal process. This feedback is part of the so-called "organizational feedback", which aims to improve the quality of the employees.
Table of Contents
The importance of 360-degree feedback
It is important for an organization to continuously evaluate the performance of its employees. If an employee is doing poorly job they should be warned - if they are doing well they should be commended.
The basis for this is that the services are recorded and understood at all on the basis of feedback. For this reason, 360-degree feedback is important for an organization. It can be used to identify competency gaps and to conduct relevant training for the employee.
The 360 degree assessment is also known as multi-rater feedback or multi-source feedback, as the feedback on the employee is collected from several different sources and not just from the reporting manager.
Benefits of 360-degree feedback
360 degree feedback offers several advantages. Some advantages of such a feedback system are listed below:
1. It helps in assessing the overall performance of an employee
2. The 360 degree feedback gives a complete overview of the work that the employee has done and is based on the assessment by several work colleagues
3. This feedback shows all competencies of an employee in different areas and business areas
4. Based on 360-degree feedback, new training programs can help develop the employee even further
5. The employee can work on his shortcomings or deficits based on the feedback from all employees
Disadvantages of 360-degree feedback
There are certain disadvantages to this feedback system. Some disadvantages of 360-degree feedback are:
1. Favoriteism can influence the feedback of certain employees
2. 360-degree feedback mostly gives qualitative feedback and can overlook the quantitative performance of an employee
3. Unfair feedback from some people can lead to an unclear assessment of the employee's performance.